SIGNS OF ILLNESS IN A NEWBORN
1. Fever of 100.4 degrees or greater rectally
2. Recurrent vomiting (not spit up)
3. Failure to urinate at least every eight hours
4. Failure to feed repeatedly
5. Pallor, listlessness, irritability
6. Labored breathing
These signs are concerning in an infant. We want you to call the office day or night if your newborn appears ill.
Book Resource: My Child Is Sick by Barton Schmitt, MD
1. Always use a car seat. It should face the back of the car until your infant is two years old.
2. Place your infant on his back to sleep. Do not have pillows, big blankets or stuffed animals in the crib.
3. Do not sleep with your baby.
4. Do not leave your baby unattended with pets or small children.
5. Do not put your infant in a car seat on top of a high surface or countertop.